This is one of the many manuscripts of 17th-century Italian cantatas now in Christ Church Library.
Manuscript. Cantatas for solo voice and continuo by Giacomo Carissimi,
Luigi Rossi, Pietro Simone Agostini and others; single unidentified
Italian copyist, probably last quarter of 17th century.
Table of titles and composers in modern form. Display form found in manuscript.
Oblong format, 285 x 125 mm. Structure: I+101+i leaves, foliated
in late 17th-century ink. The volume has been assembled from
the following fascicles, each of which contains a single musical
Decorative strapwork capitals have been supplied throughout,
some with pictorial detail depicting ships, castles, birds, animals
and grotesque faces. The capital on f. 19r is drawn on a separate
slip and has been pasted into place. Index of contents on rear
flyleaf [iir] in an Italian hand (not that of the copyist), with
annotations in ink in an unidentified English hand of ?c.1700,
and in pencil by Havergal. On the music pages themselves, various
hands have added composer attributions to the cantatas; a few
attributions may have been supplied by the copyist, but the majority
are later additions. Late 17th-century Italian binding of limp
cream vellum, varnished, and tooled in black with a centrepiece,
cornerpieces and fillets; gilt edges; stubs of ties at the upper,
lower and fore edges. The inside upper cover is annotated 'Libbro
3', placing this volume within a sequence of other cantata manuscripts
now at Christ Church. Annotation in ink on the inside lower cover,
c. 1700: 'Sigr. Anton'. Pencil jottings by Malchair on front
flyleaf, summarizing composer attributions. Bookplate 2 on
the inside upper cover. 19th-century shelfmark: E.1.14.
- Item 1: one gathering: A6 (= ff. 1-6). Unused ruled staves on
- Item 2: one gathering: B6 (= ff. 7-12).
- Item 3: one gathering: C6 (= ff. 13-18). Unused ruled staves
on f. 18v.
- Item 4: one gathering: D4 (= ff. 19-22).
- Item 5: one gathering: E6 (= ff. 23-8). Unused ruled staves on
- Item 6: one gathering: F6 (= ff. 29-34).
- Item 7: one gathering: G6 (= ff. 35-40).
- Item 8: one gathering: H4 (= ff. 41-4). Unused ruled staves on
- Item 9: one gathering: I4 (= ff. 45-8).
- Item 10: one gathering: J6 (= ff. 49-54). Unused ruled staves
on f. 54v.
- Item 11: one gathering: K6 (= ff. 55-60). Unused ruled staves
on f. 60v.
- Item 12: one gathering: L8 (= ff. 61-8).
- Item 13: one gathering: M4 (= ff. 69-72).
- Item 14: one gathering: N4 (= ff. 73-6).
- Item 15: one gathering: O4 (= ff. 77-80). Unused ruled staves
on ff. 79v-80v.
- Item 16: one gathering: P4 (= ff. 81-4). Unused ruled staves
on f. 84v.
- Item 17: one gathering: Q6 (= ff. 85-90).
- Item 18: one gathering: R4 (= ff. 91-4). Unused ruled staves
on f. 94v.
- Item 19: two gatherings: S6, T2 (= ff. 95-100, 101-[endleaf ii]).
Unused ruled staves on f. 101v.
Provenance: from the Aldrich bequest, listed in Dowding at
shelfmark Q1 as 'Italian Cantatas / in five Volumes with their
Basses'; this entry also covers Mus. 946,Mus. 947, Mus. 948 and Mus. 952. In Mus. 949 itself, the shelfmark 'Q.1.
Vol. 4' is writen on the front flyleaf.
The description and inventory above incorporate information kindly
supplied by Margaret Murata and Michael Talbot.
Microfilm: manuscript music, reel 51.