Mus. 618 (ff. 36-42)
Manuscript. Anon., [probably Henry Aldrich in association with
Richard Goodson Sr], Oxford Act song 'Carminum praeses'. According
to Trowles (ii, p. 13), 'Ode on the Anniversary of the University
of Frankfurt (author unknown). Words published as 'Ode' (Oxford,
1706). First performed at the Sheldonian Theatre, 26 April 1706'.
Score, assembled from various sheets and bifolios, copied by
Richard Goodson Sr and Henry Aldrich, as follows:
Now bound into Mus. 618, a late 18th-century guardbook bound
in white parchment over boards. For other versions of this work,
see Mus. 618 (ff. 43-50), and Mus. 621 (ff. 1-41), item 7.
- f. 36r-v. 'Overture', copied by Richard Goodson Sr. Single sheet,
upright format, 370 x 220 mm.
- ff. 37r-38v. Vocal section, copied by Henry Aldrich. Bifolio,
upright format, c.325 x 205 mm. Paginated '1-4' in ink by Aldrich.
- f. 39r-v. Instrumental dances, copied by Richard Goodson Sr.
Single sheet, 327 x 205 mm. Unused ruled staves on f. 39v.
- ff. 40r-41v. Vocal section, copied by Henry Aldrich. Bifolio,
upright format, 320 x 203 mm. Paginated '5-8' in ink by Aldrich.
- f. 42r. Vocal section, copied by Henry Aldrich. Single sheet,
upright format, 330 x 203 mm. Unused ruled staves on f. 42v.
Provenance: almost certainly from the Goodson bequest, together
with the other contents of Mus. 618.
Microfilm: manuscript music, reel 26.
This is one of the many music manuscripts at Christ Church copied by Richard Goodson Sr.
- Tony A. Trowles, The Musical Ode in Britain c.1670-1800
(unpublished D.Phil. dissertation, University of Oxford, 1992).
- Robert Shay, '"Naturalizing" Palestrina and Carissimi in Late
Seventeenth-Century Oxford: Henry Aldrich and his Recompositions',
Music and Letters, 77 (1996), 368-400.
This is one of the many music manuscripts at Christ Church copied by Henry Aldrich.