Manuscript. Begun as a song-book, possibly for the 'Mrs Anne Bayley' whose name appears on the pastedown to the inside upper and lower covers (together with the date '1645'); voice parts only, copied by Edward Lowe. Latterly used by Lowe for copying organ accompaniments to service music and anthems, and for miscellaneous musical jottings. The accompaniments partly duplicate the contents of Mus. 1220-4, and may therefore have been used at Christ Church Cathedral at a time when no other organ-book was available there. Copying of Mus. 438 was still in progress in or after 1663 (to judge from item 20, which is attributed to 'Dr Child'; Child was awarded his Oxford doctorate in that year). This is one of the many music manuscripts at Christ Church copied by Edward Lowe.
Table of titles and composers in modern form. Display form found in manuscript.
Upright format, 295 x 200 mm. 33 folios, foliated, 1, 1*, 2-4, 4*, and 5-31; foliation is in modern pencil. Collation not ascertained because of the tightness of the binding. Unused ruled staves on ff. 2v, 4r, 4*r, 13r, 17v and 27v-28r. Mid 17th-century binding of brown leather over boards, with gold-tooled fillets on the upper and lower covers, enclosing a central gold-tooled ornament on the upper cover only; rebacked and repaired in the early 20th century. Inside upper cover bears the names 'Mrs Anne Baylie' and 'Mr E Lowe', both apparently in Lowe's handwriting; inside lower cover variously inscribed 'Mrs Anne baylie her booke' (three times), '1645', 'Potley', 'Sara Bailye' and 'SB'. No early bookplate. 19th-century shelfmarks: I.5.48. The index of contents on the front flyleaf is by York Powell.
Provenance uncertain. The absence of an early bookplate, and the fact that the volume is not mentioned in any of the 18th-century catalogues of the Christ Church music collections, implies that it was not part of the Aldrich bequest. Possibly on Lowe's death it passed to other organists at Christ Church Cathedral (in view of its useful collection of organ accompaniments for services and anthems), and thence to Richard Goodson Sr. If so, it may have reached Christ Church as part of the Goodson bequest. There is no evidence to suggest that Mus. 438 was ever regarded as Cathedral property, and it did not reach Christ Church Library as part of the transfer of the Cathedral's music-books that took place in the 20th century.
Microfilm: manuscript music, reel 18.
Bibliography:J. Bunker Clark, Transposition in Seventeenth Century English Organ Accompaniments and the Transposing Organ (Detroit, 1974), 60 and 129-30.