Manuscript. Eight non-adjacent leaves from a Roman gradual, copied
probably in northern Italy in the second half of the fifteenth
Upright format, 297 x 210 mm. 20th-century binding of vellum
- Leaf 1 (unfoliated): the central portion of the sequence 'Elisabeth
Zachariae', beginning 'Incarnati nobis dati / Verbi vox et baiulus'.
- Leaf 2 is foliated 'cv' on its verso; it includes the Gradual
'Discerne causam meam', the Offertory 'Sperent in te', and part
of the Communion 'Redime me Deus'.
- Leaves 3 and 6 constitute a bifolium. Leaf 3 is foliated 'cvi'
on its verso; it includes the Introit 'Liberator meus de gentibus'
and part of the Gradual 'Exaltabo te Domine'. Leaf 6 is foliated
'ciii' on its verso; it includes the Gradual 'Deus exaudi orationem
- Leaves 4 and 5 constitute a bifolium. Leaf 4 is foliated 'cxxxix'
on its verso; it includes the Offertory 'Domine exaudi orationem
meam' and the opening of the Communion 'Potum meum cum fletu'.
Leaf 5 is foliated 'cxxxiiii' on its verso; it includes the Introit
'In nomine Domini omne genu flectatur' and part of the Gradual
'Ne averte faciem tuam'.
- Leaf 7 is foliated 'xxxv' on its verso; it includes the Introit
'Exsurge, quare obdormis Domine'.
- Leaf 8 is foliated 'cxxxvii' on its verso; there is no music
notation on this leaf.
Provenance: purchased at auction in Geneva, and donated to Christ
Church by Mr Paul Lewis, c. 1990.
Not included in the standard microfilm edition.
Follow this link for a list of other sources of plainchant at Christ Church.