A printed copy of the Book of Common Prayer (1634) and other printed material, interleaved with manuscript music for Contratenor Cantoris, copied and bound for use in the chapel of Peterhouse, Cambridge. One of a set of probably eight such partbook-volumes, of which the only other known survivor is Cambridge, Peterhouse, Perne Library O.6.29 (Medius Decani; digital images available online at DIAMM). Music copyist unidentified. The presence within the volume of pages of unused staves suggests that further expansion of the manuscript contents was envisaged.
Upright format, 300 x 190 mm. The interleaved portion of the volume has been foliated to f. 189 in modern pencil, in a sequence that includes both printed and manuscript leaves; the remainder of the volume is unfoliated. Unused ruled staves on ff. 23r-v, 26v, 30r-v, 41r-42v, 127r-v, 130r, 132r-v, 137v, 140r, 171r-172v, 181v and 188r-v. Front flyleaf inscribed 'Contratenor Cantoris' in 17th-century ink. 17th-century binding of dark brown leather over boards, gold-tooled on the upper and lower covers with the arms of Peterhouse, Cambridge, the latter enclosed within an oval panel bearing the words 'Collegium : Sancti : Petri : in : Academia : Cantabrigiae'; binding rebacked and generally repaired probably in the early 20th century by 'James H. Jackson / manufacturing / stationer, / Perth' (label pasted to inside lower cover). Inside upper cover: armorial bookplate of John George Home-Drummond of Abbots Grange (d. 1848).
Provenance: Peterhouse, Cambridge; John George Home-Drummond; Kenneth Gibbs (1856-1935), sometime Archdeacon of St. Albans, whose collection of liturgical texts was presented to Christ Church by his widow in 1946.
Microfilm: not included in the standard microfilm series.
Bibliography:Dom Anselm Hughes, Catalogue of the Musical Manuscripts at Peterhouse, Cambridge (Cambridge, 1953), 49-51.